God had waited all these years to reveal His message to mankind and He needed a lad to show up and discover it.
It was the Book Of Mormon. Okay. But is it the word of God?
"Thou fool, that still say: a Bible, we have got a Bible, and we need no more Bible.. and because I have spoken one word ye need not suppose I cannot speak another...Wherefore, because that ye have a Bible ye need not suppose that it contains all my words, neither need ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written." II Nephi 29:6,9,10
Not only the Book of Mormon but .The Pearl Of Great Price. were added along with Doctrine and Covenants. added to their sacred books.
Orthodoxy has only one book of God- The Bible.
As for the teachings:
- God was once a man
- Adam was the angel Michael come to earth.
- Polygamy is right
- Jesus had three wives
- Jesus was produced by actual sexual relations between a resurrected Adam-god and Mary.
- Man works his way to heaven
- Heaven is on three levels.
- Only Mormons get to the third heaven (Celestrial) where God is.
- Second heaven (Terrestrial) is for Christians who did not accept the Mormon message
- First level, which is called telestial, is for the heathen people who reject the Gospel (Mormon Gospel)
- Salvation is by faith plus works
- The dead can be baptized in proxy
- The family unit will endue unto the eternal ages, and that those in heaven will produce spiritual children. ( who will be born to Mormons who will be asked to produce many children thus freeing them to live on earth.)
- Celestrial marriage is a ritual that takes place in a Mormon temple and seals the person for eternity.
- Adams sin was necessary in order to provide parentage for the spirit children
- Man can achieve godhood.
Hang on. We are on a ride.