Sunday, October 16, 2011

Further Look At Bible

   Today is Sunday. Time to be in church. I find it quite admusing that God has a way of emphasizing what I have been doing doing the week. He seems to put on the heart of my Pastor to preach on an area that is current in my experience. In this case, it is the Bible.
    To be more specific it was on memorization of scripture. That was the next step in this doctrine series I am starting. Just what can we do with the Bible to aid Christian growth? I am an advocate of memorization. that is hiding the word in our heart that we might not sin against God, "How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to thy Word. Thy Word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against God." Psalm 119:9,11
   Pastor Joe this morning gave some steps troward meditation. http://www.achurchthatstudies.org/.
   Let me share them with you.
   First is to realize God's truth. Looking at the passage you are studying ask what did this mean to the original readers? Then once you have researched this using aids, ask yourself, so, what does this mean for today... what does it mean to me?
   Second is to Retain God's Truth. You do this by memorization. Maybe just a few words of the verse... The goal should be to memorize complete verses. This will help bring to your memory scripture. "Be anxious for nothing, but in everthing by prayer and supplication, make your requests know unto God." Phil 4:6.
    Even if you remember " Be anxious for nothing" in times of stress, you are ahead of the game.
    Third is to reflect on God's Truth. This is a meditation step. Not the meditation of the Eastern philophy. This meditationj is the thinking of what it is you are saying. Chew on it and then drop it into your heart.
    Forth is to respond to God's Truth. This is allowing what you memorize to change your life's values. Yes, there should be change.
     Stay with me. Be a follower and get all this series. May God bless you as you do so.


No comments:

Post a Comment