Thursday, December 19, 2013

`Context Is Everything


      I got to thinking recently about prayer. When I pray is my prayer making a difference? Is God hearing?
      I do accept the Bible as the written communication of God to me and others who are His. I don't hold to God speaking face to face with each one of us today. He has spoken in His Son and He has authored the Bible. That is the extent of His communication with us when it comes to what we need to know about Him.
     Anyway, as I was starting to say about prayer. Does God answer prayer?
     In the Bible we are told that Jesus ( God in the flesh) is the same yesterday, today and forever. In context, what does that mean?
    Now, I am not ordained. I don't belong to any denomination nor can I be the man who stands up and says this is what God says. I am not the under-shepherd. But I am a seeekr.
     When this was penned the time was during the first century.. Jesus--God answered prayer in the Old Testament period of time. That was before God became flesh and dwelt among us. That is the yesterday being spoken about.
    God became flesh and dwelt among us. God heard prayer offered then and answered. That was the now.
    After Jesus ascended and the Bible was closed toward the end of the first century when John finished Revelation, that is the forever.
.   God answered in the days before becoming flesh. He answered when He was in flesh. He answers now based on what He has done in the past. So I could conclude that He hears and answers prayer now in the twenty-first century.

No comments:

Post a Comment